Do you need to know how to remove vomit from your furniture or carpets?
Not the nicest topic we know, but you may find it handy to know what to do if your baby or young child has vomited over your furniture or carpets, without it leaving a permanent stain.
As you are aware, vomit isn’t very pleasant. It smells and can stain your clothes and furniture too, so after consoling and attending to your baby or child, it’s best to ACT FAST before it has time to seep into your furniture or carpets.
Just follow these simple steps using everyday household products you probably have in your home:
- Using plastic gloves, scoop up the vomit into a plastic bag, using paper towels or an old rag.
- If your cushions have removable covers, put them into the washing machine.
- Mix white vinegar with warm water and apply this solution to your sofa using a microfibre cloth.
- Saturate the stain with the above solution.
- Rinse the area with water, blot with an old towel and allow it to dry.
- Repeat above steps until the stain is removed.
- To remove the vomit smell, spray the area with vinegar, blot with an old towel, and sprinkle on some baking soda.
- Leave for several hours or overnight and then vacuum off the remaining dry baking soda.
- Repeat #7 until the smell is gone.
This treatment also applies to any adult vomit too.
Good Luck from the Alpine Cleaning Guru!
BLOGGER: Paul Mitchell, Owner/Operator of Alpine Carpet & Tile Cleaning, Perth. Updated Dec 2019.
Disclaimer: Please note that this and any other tips given in our DIY blog is to assist you in minimizing any discolouration or staining damage. Please follow instructions and measurements carefully as use of different quantities may have unintended consequences. These tips do not take in account individual circumstances, and we cannot be held responsible for any claim or action that may arise from using the information on this website. Please note that in some cases, there are different treatments for different fibres/fabrics – i.e. natural or synthetic. These tips are not a substitute for the treatment that we would offer as a professional carpet cleaner. If in doubt, please call us immediately on 0411 225 720.